Since 2015, Laura has worked with Greenpeace International (GPI). She helped lead a new open source engagement platform project called Planet 4, worked with the Story team on global narratives and more. In early 2020, Laura brought the rest of We Are Open into GPI work, and we’ve been involved in a number of projects.
Greenpeace International is the enabling body of the Greenpeace global network. Greenpeace is a global environmental NGO with 50 years of activism on the front lines of environmentalism. Their mission is to “defend the natural world and stand for a green and peaceful future.”
Website Communications Strategy
We Are Open conducted a review of project documentation relating to GPI communications and a series of interviews with key stakeholders to provide strategic recommendations to GPI on website voice, audience, content and resources. We wrote the GPI Website Communications Strategy and continue to work on it’s implementation:
- GPI Website Communication Strategy
- Communicating with Intention
- Audience Ikigai
- Educate + Engage = Activate!
- Understand what we mean with “Inform and Inspire”
- Best Practices for Communicating with our Audience
- Key Info Template
- Audience Research
The Super Secret Project
Since 2020, we’ve been working on an internal programme. It’s big and awesome, but one of the rarest of the rare – a project we took under an NDA. FYI it’s successful and awesome and we’re super excited about it.
In early 2020, the Planet 4 project was at one point of maturity, having rolled out 80% of offices ٩(●ᴗ●)۶ and ready for the next push towards the vision of driving people to action. Our job was to help the Planet 4 team develop an open mindset, demonstrate open leadership and empower the collaborators waiting in the wings through open engagement.
We helped that team with:
- Open leadership: Serving on the project Steering Committee & helping to develop relationships with stakeholders; serving as a critical friend; advising on open project standards
- Open mindset: Modelling open behaviours; helping with coordination and team building; delivering a course on the fundamentals of open principles; designing a Day of Action strategy, agendas, and resources
- Open engagement: Teaching and mentoring the team on how to run effective community calls; engaging in partnership development and management; surveying potential collaborators regarding motivations to contribute and more
- A Meetings Checklist to identify meetings where we are most likely to be able to contribute specific types of advice
- A global Day of Action Strategy and narrative around it, including research backed buy-in slides, videos, and other marketing materials
- An action plan for the strategy
- A survey to identify motivations of open source contributors and a blog post to promote it and offer the top ten reasons people contribute
- Pilot DocSprint Agenda
- Contributor template
- Email courses on running great virtual meetings and open principles
- Community strategy and structures
- Community call agendas for design team & feature dev
- Badge for Day of Action initiative
- Complete Architectures of Participation